Bus Safety - Rules & Regulations
Bus Safety First Rules
The Transportation Department is dedicated to the safety of students. To make each day a success, professionals work together to consistently enforce rules that will enhance and promote a safe atmosphere. These rules listed below are posted in all district school buses and should be acknowledged and followed whenever a student is riding the school bus. Please take a few moments to read and discuss the following rules with your child:
Safety First Parent Form/Reglas de Segunidad
Please have your child view the Bus Safety Video - The Safe Way to Go:
What is a danger zone around a school bus?
- The Danger Zone is a space all around the school bus. It extends out 10 feet (10 giant steps) in all directions. The School Bus Driver cannot see you in this zone. He or she cannot see you around the wheels either. It is very dangerous to be in the Danger Zone.
If you cross the road:
- Make eye contact with the driver.
- Wait for the driver to signal you when it is safe to cross.
- Be sure it is safe - Look left, right, then left again.
- NEVER CROSS BEHIND THE BUS.
Where should I stop when I see a school bus with red lights flashing and the stop sign is out on the bus?
Whenever you see the alternating flashing red lights on a school bus, you must stop if you are on a two-lane roadway.
or you are on a multiple lane roadway and you are traveling in the same direction as the bus