Skip to main content
Have A Question? Contact Us At 702-799-CCSD
department avatarEnvironmental Services

1. Why the Annual Inventory is Needed

Federal and State regulations require that all areas within your facility must be inventoried for hazardous materials and chemicals. Because of their inherent ability to cause death, injury and damage to property, hazardous materials require reasonable controls for their handling and use[1]. Also, chemical inventory reporting is required for worker protection and emergency response[2]. It is also useful for determining if prohibited materials are present at the schools, if there are excess hazardous materials present at the facility, and if the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) have been obtained for all hazardous materials at the facility. Lastly, it is helpful in determining possible sources of indoor air pollutants.

An operating permit is required in order to store, transport onsite, dispense, use or handle hazardous materials and chemicals onsite. This permit must be renewed annually through the Department of Public Safety, State Fire Marshall’s Division (SFM). The CCSD Environmental Services Department is here to report your hazardous material and chemical inventory annually by March 1st to obtain your facility’s Nevada State Fire Marshal operating permit.  If the school/facility is determined by SFM that the school/facility does not have large enough quantities of hazardous materials and chemicals onsite, they may not issue a permit.

[1] Title III of the Federal Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) statute titled the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA).

[2] U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Hazard Communication Standard must annually provide chemical information to the state emergency response commission, the local emergency planning committee and the local fire department.