School Name Committee
The purpose of this committee is to review naming nominations for unnamed Clark County School District facilities, including schools, central office locations, and areas within schools (for example, libraries and sports facilities).
The School Name Committee is comprised of the following members:
- Chairperson and Board of School Trustees representative, Deanna Wright
- Board of School Trustees representative, Chris Garvey
- CCSD administrator representative, Tarsha Hillmon
- CCSD teacher representative, Beatriz Romero
- Parent representative, Sylvia Lazos
- Community representative, Myron Martin
- Community representative, Virginia Valentine
One of the highest honors bestowed upon an individual who has made an everlasting impact in the Clark County community is to become a school namesake. The motivation for this naming opportunity is to honor educators, students, and community leaders of the highest character, while providing Clark County school children with role models, and a sense of the rich history and diversity of the Southern Nevada community.
Clark County School District Policy 7223 Naming of Schools and Education-Related Facilities, outlines the criteria for naming District facilities and portions of facilities, the selection process, and the make-up of the School Name Committee.
Questions may be directed to the Communications and Government Relations Unit at 702-799-5304 or via email at SNC@nv.ccsd.net.
Call for Nominations - New Elementary Schools
In the 2015 Legislative Session, the Nevada State Legislature approved a change in the way school districts in Nevada can access funds to construct new schools and renovate existing ones. Because of this legislation, the Clark County School District was able to move quickly to begin construction of new elementary schools to help ease overcrowding and keep up with the demand for new seats as our student population continues to grow.
2019 Call for Nominations
A new Call for Nominations will be open through July 31, 2019, to name one new elementary school slated to open fall 2020.
2018 Call for Nominations
A new Call for Nominations was open through July 13, 2018, to name three new elementary schools slated to open fall 2019.
The applications for 39 nominees were independently reviewed and rated by the School Name Committee members and then their scores were combined to determine nine finalists.
Click below to see the ratings sheet and the applications of the nine finalists from the 2018 round of school naming.
The names for two new schools slated to open in the 2019-2020 school year were approved by the Board of Trustees on October 18, 2018, as follows:
- Sandra B. Abston Elementary School at W. Tompkins Avenue and S. Conquistador Street;
- Earl N. Jenkins Elementary School at E. Vegas Valley Drive and S. Hollywood Boulevard.
The third new namesake, Helen Anderson Toland, will be assigned in the future to a school to be determined.
2017 Call for Nominations
A Call for Nominations was open through May 31, 2017, to name four new elementary schools slated to open fall 2018.
The applications for 61 nominees were independently reviewed and rated by the seven School Name Committee members and then their scores were combined to determine the 15 finalists.
The names for four new schools slated to open in the 2018-2019 school year were approved by the Board of Trustees on October 5, 2017, as follows:
- Shirley A. Barber Elementary School at South Spencer Street and East Pyle Avenue
- Kenneth Divich Elementary School at Farm Road and North Jensen Street
- Robert and Sandy Ellis Elementary School at Beltrada Avenue and Via Italia
- Dennis Ortwein Elementary School at Dean Martin and Interstate 15
2016 Call for NominationsClick below to see the applications of the 15 finalists from the 2016 round of school naming.
The names for the seven new schools that opened in the 2017-2018 school year were approved by the Board of Trustees on January 26, 2017, as follows:
- Shelley Berkley Elementary School at Maule Avenue and Grand Canyon Drive
- Jan Jones Blackhurst Elementary School at Chartan Avenue and Pioneer Way
- Lomie G. Heard Elementary School, A Marzano Academy at Lamb Boulevard and Kell Lane
- Dr. Beverly S. Mathis Elementary School at Arville Street and Mesa Verde Lane
- Don and Dee Snyder Elementary School at Ford Avenue and Riley Street
- Josh Stevens Elementary School at Dave Wood Circle and East Galleria Drive
- Billy and Rosemary Vassiliadis Elementary School at Antelope Ridge Drive
Call for Nominations - Non-Instructional Facilities
Nominations were accepted through June 1, 2015 to name 17 non-instructional facilities within the Clark County School District. However, due to limited response and the possible reorganization of the District, a decision was made to postpone that effort indefinitely. A new opportunity to submit nominations will be announced when the effort is re-initiated.
Naming a Portion of a Facility
(Including libraries, gyms, stadiums, conference rooms, etc.)
If you are considering naming a portion of your school/nonschool facility in honor of an individual (or if you have informally named a portion of your facility without approval from the School Name Committee) please submit an application. Applications require administration approval from the facility.
Please submit the application and all required supporting information to Clark County School District, Community Engagement Unit, 5100 West Sahara Avenue, Las Vegas, NV, 89146 or to SNC@nv.ccsd.net.
Next School Name Committee Public Meeting
The School Name Committee meets two or three times per year. Materials will be posted on Boarddocs prior to each meeting.