The Parent Institute encourages parent involvement in children's education by setting the stage for a nurturing and healthy parent-child relationship.
Toward this goal, Parent Institute teachers provide parents with the resources needed to succeed, including an action plan for achieving educational goals and stronger communication skills between parents and teachers.
Parenting classes are offered throughout the academic year at Title I schools across the District. [List of classes offered.] Parent Institute training sessions will teach:
- The different styles of parenting
- How to open the lines of communication with their teens
- The key of encouragement and redirecting misbehavior
- All about responsibility and discipline
- Information about bullying, drugs, sexuality, and violence
- How to bridge the "GAP" between them and their child's school
The Parent Institute offers other services to students including:
- Immigration information and referrals
- Domestic violence advocacy
- Housing issues assistance
- Translation services
- Assistance filling out applications for jobs, housing, and child support
- Notary services
For more information, or to schedule a class at your school site, please call Michelle Jackson at 799-6478, ext. 5803.