Clark County School District
Skip to main content
Have A Question? Contact Us or 702-799-CCSD
department avatarEnvironmental Services

Annual Hazardous Materials and Chemical Inventory

Annual Hazardous Materials and Chemical Inventory

Environmental Services will be conducting your annual inventory for 2021. If you have your chemical inventory report in the CHIMERA program, simply make sure the inventory is updated.

Federal and State regulations require that all areas within your facility must be inventoried for hazardous materials and chemicals. Because of their inherent ability to cause death, injury, and damage to property, hazardous materials require reasonable controls for their handling and use [1]. Also, chemical inventory reporting is required for worker protection and emergency response [2]. It is also useful for determining if prohibited materials are present at the schools, if there are excess hazardous materials present at the facility, and if the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) have been obtained for all hazardous materials at the facility. Lastly, it is helpful in determining possible sources of indoor air pollutants.

An operating permit is required in order to store, transport, dispense, use or handle hazardous materials and chemicals on site. This permit must be renewed annually through the Department of Public Safety, State Fire Marshall’s Division (SFM). Environmental Services is here to report your hazardous material and chemical inventory annually by March 1st to obtain your facility’s Nevada State Fire Marshal operating permit.  If the school/facility is determined by SFM that the school/facility does not have large enough quantities of hazardous materials and chemicals onsite, they may not issue a permit.

Hazardous Materials Permit Example

[1] Title III of the Federal Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) statute titled the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA).

[2] U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Hazard Communication Standard must annually provide chemical information to the state emergency response commission, the local emergency planning committee and the local fire department.