Skip to main content
Have A Question? Contact Us At 702-799-CCSD
department avatarProperty & Liability Claims

Student Injuries

Student Accident Reporting Guidelines

  • First and foremost we must treat the child’s injury/illness following standard protocol. If the injury/illness is of a more serious nature or requires further treatment then we should notify parents/guardians immediately. If parents/guardians cannot be reached or the condition is life threatening then paramedics should be called.
  • If a child is being picked up at the school due to an injury or illness then appropriate identification is necessary. Match name with information provided on the registration information to verify that the person is authorized to pick up the child.
  • Once the child’s injury/illness has been attended to the information must be entered into the Health office computer program by the FASA or the nurse.
    • If the condition being treated was a bloodborne exposure then the staff should complete the appropriate areas within Health office.
    • If the injury/illness is of a serious nature and has the potential to become a liability claim then the school staff should conduct an investigation. This would include written statements from any staff member or even students that may have been present or have knowledge regarding the cause. This information should be sent to Risk Management.
  • If the injury occurs during an after school activity, field trip, or other CCSD organized activity and treatment isn't provided by the Health Office then a Report of Student Injury Form must be completed immediately and forwarded to Risk Management.
  • If a parent asks questions regarding payment of medical bills or responsibility for the accident then they should be referred to the Liability Claims Section for further information at 702-799-0048 Ext. 5613. They can also complete a claim form and mail it to the address listed on the form to file a claim.

Most Commonly Asked Questions Regarding Student Accidents

What do I do in the case of an animal bite? What if the bite is from a reptile? If a student has been bitten by a warm-blooded animal, you must make sure you follow the standard procedures in the CCF-648 First Aid/Emergency Care Guidelines for Handling Accidents and Illnesses Occurring at School. This would include calling your local animal control office. They will advise you what procedures the school must do to secure the animal and they will do all necessary testing. Under no circumstances should a stray animal, found on campus, be released without contacting animal control even if no bites have been reported. In the case of a cold-blooded animal bite, please contact Risk Management immediately and take the appropriate steps outline in the CCF-648.

What should I do if a medication error is discovered? Treat the child accordingly. If side effects are severe call 911 and Risk Management at 702-799-0048. Document the error according to the current procedures.

What should I do in the case of a bloodborne pathogen exposure? In the event of an exposure to a student, you must document the exposure in the system. Indicate all pertinent information. Call the parents of the students involved and explain the situation. Never give out names of other students. We do not pay for testing and we cannot force a parent to have their child tested. If you need any follow-up information or assistance regarding exposures, please call Health Services at 702-799-7443.

* Please refer any employee exposures to the appropriate Worker's Compensation Nurse Liason at 800-453-1361.

What do I do if a parent requests a copy of a student accident report? Ask the parent to complete the Request for Student Health Office Information. Send the request form to Risk Management either by email to, school mail, or fax, 702-799-2995. We will process the request and mail the information to the parent. Please ask them to allow at least 48 hours to process the request.

Revised 07/09/20- Risk Management